Converting a cigarette lighter to a power outlet can be a useful modification for your vehicle. A power outlet can provide a more stable and reliable power source for charging devices or running small electronic appliances. In this article, we will discuss the steps to convert your cigarette lighter to a power outlet.
To convert your cigarette lighter to a power outlet, you will need a few materials, including a power outlet adapter, wire cutters, and electrical tape.
- You can purchase a power outlet adapter at most automotive or electronics stores.
Disconnect the Cigarette Lighter
The first step in converting your cigarette lighter to a power outlet is to disconnect the cigarette lighter from the wiring harness.
- To do this, you will need to remove the cigarette lighter from its socket. Use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry the cigarette lighter out of its socket.
- Once the cigarette lighter is removed, you should see the wiring harness connected to the back of the socket.
- Use wire cutters to disconnect the wiring harness from the cigarette lighter. Be sure to leave enough wire to connect the power outlet adapter.
Connect the Power Outlet Adapter
Once the cigarette lighter is disconnected, you can now connect the power outlet adapter.
- The power outlet adapter should come with its own wiring harness.
- Connect the wiring harness to the wires that you disconnected from the cigarette lighter using electrical tape.
- Be sure to connect the wires correctly. You can consult theinstruction manual that comes with the power outlet adapter to ensure that you are connecting the wires properly.
Test the Power Outlet
Once the power outlet adapter is connected, test the power outlet to make sure that it is working properly.
- Insert a device or appliance that requires power into the outlet and turn it on.
- If the device or appliance is receiving power, then the power outlet conversion was successful.
Secure the Power Outlet Adapter
After testing the power outlet, secure the power outlet adapter in place.
- You can use electrical tape or zip ties to secure the wiring harness and power outlet adapter to the vehicle.
- Make sure that the wiring harness and power outlet adapter are securely fastened and not loose.
Reinstall the Cigarette Lighter
If you ever want to convert the power outlet back to a cigarette lighter, you will need to reinstall the cigarette lighter. To do this, simply insert the cigarette lighter back into its socket and connect the wiring harness to the back of the socket.
Converting a cigarette lighter to a power outlet can be a useful modification for your vehicle. With a power outlet, you can charge devices or run small electronic appliances with a more stable and reliable power source.
- To convert your cigarette lighter to a power outlet, gather the necessary materials, disconnect the cigarette lighter, connect the power outlet adapter, test the power outlet, secure the power outlet adapter, and reinstall the cigarette lighter if necessary. By following these steps, you can successfully convert your cigarettelighter to a power outlet and enjoy the benefits of having a more versatile power source in your vehicle.
- Overall, this conversion process is relatively simple and can be completed by most people with basic wiring knowledge. However, if you are not comfortable working with electrical components, it is always best to seek the assistance of a professional.
- With a power outlet in your vehicle, you can charge your phone, tablet, or other electronic devices while on the go. You can also power small appliances like a portable air compressor or a mini-fridge. This modification can be especially useful for people who spend a lot of time on the road, such as long-distance drivers or travelers.
- To finalize, converting a cigarette lighter to a power outlet can be a great way to add functionality to your vehicle. With just a few simple steps, you can create a more reliable power source for your electronic devices and small appliances.
Whether you’re a long-distance driver or just someone who likes to stay connected while on the road, this modification is definitely worth considering. So gather your materials, follow the steps outlined above, and enjoy the benefits of a more versatile power source in your vehicle.